Eleven Annual Days. Eleven Generic Gifts. And Then Someone Finally Got It Right.


By Aarthy Balachandran | Founder, The Knots Studio

I want to tell you about a conversation I almost did not have.

It was a Tuesday morning, about six weeks before their company's Annual Day celebration, and an HR head from a well-established manufacturing company in Bengaluru had reached out to us for a quote on gifting for approximately three hundred and fifty employees.

Annual Day, for those who have organised one, is not a small matter in Indian corporate culture. It is the moment when an organisation steps back from the relentless pace of the working year and says, collectively and publicly, thank you for everything this year has meant. The speeches, the awards, the performances, the dinner, and the gift that every employee takes home at the end of the evening.

That gift is the last impression of the entire event. It is what travels home with every person in the room. It is what sits on their kitchen counter or their work desk or their bedroom table in the days and weeks that follow. And it is what they remember when they think about how the company made them feel on that particular evening.

The initial brief was simple. Something appropriate for the occasion. Something within budget. Something that would go out on time and reflect well on the organisation at their most important internal event of the year.

I sent across our proposal. And then came the reply that I have received, in various forms, more times than I can count.

"Aarthy, the quote looks good but we found something similar for a bit less from another vendor. Can you match that price?"

I sat with that message for a few minutes before I responded. Not because the answer was complicated. But because I wanted to make sure that when I replied I was genuinely trying to help her rather than simply defending our pricing.

And what followed was one of the most honest and ultimately most valuable conversations I have had in the history of building The Knots Studio.

The Easy Answer and Why I Did Not Give It

The easy answer in that situation is to say no, explain briefly that our quality justifies our pricing, wish the client well, and move on.

The slightly less easy but more common answer is to negotiate. To find some middle ground that keeps the business while quietly compromising on something that the client may or may not notice until it is too late.

I did neither.

Instead I asked if she had thirty minutes for a proper meeting. Not a quick call. A meeting. Because what I wanted to share with her was not something that could be done justice in five minutes of back and forth, and I genuinely felt that if she understood what she was actually comparing she would be in a much better position to make a decision that served her organisation and her employees well.

She agreed. And we sat down together, properly, with enough time to have the conversation that the situation deserved.

The First Thing I Asked Her

The first question I asked was not about the other vendor or their pricing. It was about her employees and about Annual Day itself.

I asked her to tell me about the last time her company had celebrated Annual Day. What had the gift been? How had it been received? What was the energy in the room when it was distributed and what was the conversation among employees in the days that followed?

She thought about it for a moment.

She said the gifts the previous year had been perfectly fine. A standard hamper that was put together for the occasion. Employees had said thank you. The event itself had been enjoyable. But when she thought about it honestly, the gift had not really added to the memory of the evening in any meaningful way. It had been there and then it had been taken home and that was essentially all she could say about it.

I asked whether any employee had come back to her in the weeks after Annual Day specifically because of the gift. Whether anyone had mentioned it in a way that suggested it had meant something to them personally rather than simply being a nice thing to receive.

She was honest. No, not really.

I told her that was not unusual. And I told her it was exactly what I wanted to help her change this year, if she was willing to think about it differently for thirty minutes.

What a Slightly Cheaper Gift Actually Costs

I want to be direct about something here because I think the gifting industry in India does a poor job of having this conversation honestly.

When a client receives a quote that is a bit less than another, the natural assumption is that the cheaper vendor has found a more efficient way to produce the same outcome. Better supplier relationships perhaps. More streamlined operations. Simply lower margins.

Sometimes that is true. But more often the difference in price reflects a difference in what is actually being delivered. And that difference is almost always invisible in a catalogue or a quote. It only becomes visible when the gifts arrive.

The materials that looked premium in a photograph but feel ordinary in the hand. The packaging that photographs well but shows its limitations when someone actually opens it. The customisation that was described as precise but arrives with colours that do not quite match the brand identity. The products that have been selected because they photograph well rather than because they will be genuinely valued and used by the people receiving them.

None of these things are visible at the point of comparison. They surface after the commitment has been made and the gifts have been distributed. And by then three hundred and fifty employees have taken their Annual Day gift home. And the impression that gift makes, or fails to make, is the impression that stays.

I shared this with her not as a criticism of the other vendor. I genuinely do not know what another vendor is or is not doing. I shared it because it is the honest context that I would want someone to provide me if I were making this decision for my own organisation.

The Conversation About Personalisation and What It Actually Means

This is where the meeting took a turn that I had not entirely anticipated. But it was the turn that mattered most.

I asked her to describe the other vendor's proposed hamper contents to me. Not the price or the packaging, just the products. What was actually inside.

She listed them. And as she listed them I could see on her face that she was hearing them slightly differently than she had when she first reviewed the quote. Because she was hearing them now in the context of a conversation about what her employees actually needed and valued rather than in the context of a price comparison.

The products were generic. Entirely competent, entirely inoffensive, and entirely disconnected from anything specific about her workforce or her company culture or the particular significance of this year's Annual Day.

I asked her about her team. What was the age profile? What kinds of roles did they work in? Were they predominantly office based or did many of them spend significant time on the factory floor or in the field? What were the lifestyle preferences and daily routines of her workforce that a truly thoughtful hamper needed to account for rather than defaulting to the standard set of items that every gifting catalogue defaults to? About the cultural diversity of her team and what it meant to choose products that felt inclusive and considered for everyone in the room rather than simply safe and generic?

She had answers to most of these questions because she is a good HR professional who knows her organisation. And as she answered we began to build something together that looked quite different from either of the two quotes she had been comparing.

The hamper we developed together for her Annual Day had contents that were selected specifically for her workforce. Products that would be genuinely useful and valued in the daily lives of people who worked the hours they worked and lived the way they lived. Lifestyle considerations built thoughtfully into every product choice. A selection that honoured the real lives of her team rather than defaulting to the safest possible middle ground.

The other vendor's hamper could have gone to any company's Annual Day and been entirely appropriate. Our hamper was designed for her company, for her people, for this particular Annual Day.

And that distinction matters more than most people realise when they are sitting down to compare gifting proposals.

The Conversation About What She Was Actually Buying

At some point in that meeting I said something that I think shifted the entire conversation.

I said that when she was comparing the two proposals, she was not actually comparing the cost of three hundred and fifty hampers. She was comparing the cost of three hundred and fifty moments.

Moments when an employee takes their Annual Day gift home and the event follows them there. When they open it in front of their family and their family sees what the company thought to give them. When they find a place for it in their daily life or discover that it does not quite fit there. When they think, in the days that follow the event, about whether the organisation they work for sees them clearly or sees them as an interchangeable unit of workforce.

Annual Day is the one moment in the corporate calendar that is explicitly about celebrating people. Not a project. Not a result. Not a quarter. The people themselves. The year of their work and their commitment and their presence in the organisation.

What the gift says on that particular evening is therefore not background noise. It is the loudest quiet signal the organisation sends all year.

Research consistently and clearly shows that employees who feel genuinely recognised and valued are significantly more engaged, more productive, and substantially more likely to stay with their organisation. The Gallup Organisation has documented this relationship extensively over decades of research across thousands of organisations globally. Employee recognition, when it feels authentic and thoughtful, drives outcomes that no recruitment budget or retention programme can replicate.

An Annual Day gift that feels personal and considered is not a luxury. It is an investment in the very things that HR heads and CHROs spend enormous energy trying to build. Loyalty. Engagement. A sense of genuine belonging.

She was quiet for a moment after I said this. And then she said she had never thought about it quite that way before. That she had always thought of the gift as the last item on the Annual Day planning checklist rather than as an integral part of what the evening was communicating to her employees.

I understood that completely. Because it is how most organisations think about gifting until they experience what happens when it is done with genuine intention.

What We Actually Proposed and Why It Worked

Once the conversation had shifted from a price comparison to a genuine discussion about what she wanted her employees to feel on Annual Day, something changed between us.

She became curious about what was actually possible rather than focused on justifying a number. Her questions changed completely. She stopped asking whether we could match a price and started asking what the right gift for her organisation would actually look like and what it would require to create it.

We talked about the composition of her workforce in detail. About the products that would be genuinely valued and used by people doing the work they do and living the lives they live outside the office. About the lifestyle preferences and daily routines of her team that a truly thoughtful hamper needed to account for rather than defaulting to the standard set of items that every gifting catalogue defaults to. About the cultural diversity of her team and what it meant to choose products that felt inclusive and considered for everyone in the room rather than simply safe and generic. About the packaging and how the experience of opening the gift would feel at the end of an evening that was supposed to celebrate the people in the room.

We talked about the difference between a hamper that was appropriate for the occasion and one that was genuinely designed for the people.

And by the end of the meeting we had built something that was genuinely distinct from both the original proposal and the cheaper alternative. Not because we had added expensive items for the sake of it but because we had made deliberate choices about what belonged in a gift for her specific workforce at this specific moment in their company's story.

The final investment was meaningfully less different from the cheaper quote than she had initially expected. Because when we focused on building the right gift rather than defending a price point, we found ways to create something significantly more purposeful without unnecessary cost.

She placed the order.

What Happened at Annual Day

She called me about ten days after the event.

I could tell from the first moment of the conversation that something significant had happened.

She told me the response from employees had been completely unlike anything she had experienced in her years of organising Annual Day. People had approached her specifically during the event to comment on the gift before they had even left the venue. A department head had sent her a message the following morning saying that two members of his team who had been quietly considering leaving the organisation had each told him independently that the evening had reminded them why they joined in the first place.

One employee, who had attended eleven Annual Days with the company, had come to her office two days after the event. He had worked in the same role for most of those eleven years. He sat down across from her and told her that this was the first Annual Day where the gift had made him feel like the company had actually thought about the people in the room rather than simply fulfilling an obligation to mark the occasion.

Eleven years. Eleven Annual Days. And it was only in the eleventh year, when someone finally made the decision to invest properly in the value of the moment rather than the lowest possible cost of filling a gift bag, that an employee felt genuinely seen and considered on the night that was supposed to be about celebrating him.

She had to pause in the middle of telling me this. It had clearly moved her when she heard it. And it moved me too when she shared it.

That is what thoughtful gifting actually does. Not when it is a tiebreaker between similar offers. But when someone genuinely decides that it deserves the same care and intention that goes into every other part of a celebration.

What She Has Become to The Knots Studio

That client is now one of our most valued and longest-standing partners.

In the time since that first Annual Day order she has worked with us on onboarding kits for every new batch of joiners her organisation brings in. On recognition gifts for work anniversaries and individual milestones. On a client appreciation programme for their key external partners. And on the gifting for every Annual Day since that first one.

She refers us to other HR heads in her network with a specificity that I find genuinely meaningful. She does not simply say The Knots Studio are good at gifting. She says they will change how you think about what gifting is for.

And every time I speak with her I am grateful that I asked for thirty minutes rather than accepting that a price comparison had already decided the conversation.

What This Means for You

If you are an HR head or Admin leader who is currently comparing gifting proposals and trying to work out where the value lies, I want to offer you the same honest perspective I offered her in that meeting.

Price comparison is a natural and reasonable starting point. But it is only a useful tool if what is being compared is actually comparable. And in corporate gifting, two proposals that appear to be for the same thing are very often proposals for quite different experiences.

The difference does not show in the quote. It shows in the sourcing. The quality. The thoughtfulness of the contents and how well they reflect the actual people receiving them. The care taken with the packaging and the finishing. The reliability of delivery. The transparency of the vendor when something needs to be discussed honestly.

And most importantly it shows in the response of the people who receive the gift.

The question worth asking before making a decision based on price alone is the question I asked that HR head at the beginning of our meeting.

What do you want your employees to feel when they receive this gift and take it home from your Annual Day?

Because that answer is what should be driving your gifting decision. Not the cost of the hamper. The value of the moment. The impression that stays. The feeling that an employee carries with them when they think about the organisation they chose to work for.

That feeling is what corporate gifting is actually for. And it is worth investing in properly.

A Final Thought

I started The Knots Studio because I believed that gifting in India deserved far more intention and care than it typically receives. As a woman entrepreneur who spent sixteen years working in large organisations and sat on the other side of vendor relationships in multiple companies, I experienced firsthand what it felt like when gifting was done with genuine thought and what it felt like when it was simply a box to tick.

The difference between those two experiences is not subtle. And it is not primarily a question of money.

It is a question of someone deciding that the people on the receiving end of a gift deserve to feel that someone thought carefully about them. And then making every decision in the gifting process in service of that commitment.

That is what we try to bring to every single order at The Knots Studio. Whether it is fifty onboarding kits for a growing startup or five hundred hampers for a large corporate celebration. The same commitment to making the person who receives the gift feel that they were seen and considered.

We would genuinely love to bring that to your organisation and your next important occasion.

📩 aarthy@theknotsstudio.com

🌐 theknotsstudio.com

📸 instagram.com/theknotsstudio

💼 linkedin.com/company/the-knots-studio

 
The Knots Studio. Bengaluru's boutique for gifting that means something.

And a question for everyone reading this:

Think about the most memorable gift you have ever received at a corporate event or celebration. What made it stand out in a way that the others did not? Share it in the comments below. Because understanding what genuinely moves people is how all of us get better at creating those moments for the people who work with us.

#CorporateGifting #TheKnotsStudio #AnnualDay #HRLeaders #CHRO #AdminLeaders #EmployeeEngagement #GiftingThatMatters #PersonalisedGifting #WomenEntrepreneur #BengaluruBusiness #Founders #PeopleAndCulture #BespokeCorporateGifting #TalentRetention #EmployeeRecognition #GiftingStrategy #HRCommunity #ValueOverPrice #ClientStory


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Mithai Boxes to Meaningful Moments — How Corporate Gifting in India Is Quietly Changing Everything in 2026

Your Best Employees Are Not Leaving for Money. They Are Leaving Because Nobody Made Them Feel Seen.

The Silent Conversation Your Corporate Gift Is Having With Your Employees — And Why Most Companies Are Not Listening